- I’m trying to run DavkaWriter 7 on my Mac but it crashes when I start it. What do I do?
- Since I upgraded my Mac to Mountain Lion, DavkaWriter 7 doesn’t work. What do I do?
- How do I get DavkaWriter 7 for my Mac?
- I bought DavkaWriter 6/7 by download and was advised by Davka to make a backup. How do I do that?
- Why do I get an “invalid path” error when I try to open a file with Hebrew letters in the filename in DavkaWriter?
- How do I open a Dagesh document in DavkaWriter?
- I inserted an image or text box into a DavkaWriter document and now I can’t click and select it. What do I do?
- Where can I get additional Hebrew fonts that can be used with DavkaWriter?
- How do I get Hebrew text from DavkaWriter into Microsoft Word or other applications?
- Where do I find the texts (Tanach, Siddur, Mishna) included in DavkaWriter?
- How do I type a letter with a dot/dagesh (i.e. a bet instead of vet) in DavkaWriter?
- How do I save a DavkaWriter document as a PDF?
- Why don’t my DavkaWriter files open when I double-click them in Windows Vista or Windows 7?
- Why am I getting strange characters like øàèåïíùãâ when I try to type Hebrew in DavkaWriter?
- How do I run DavkaWriter 6 on my Mac?
Author Archives: Davka Tech Support
If DavkaWriter on your Mac crashes with the following error: “The program davwrite.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” the most likely cause is that DavkaWriter needs a printer to be … Continue reading
Versions of the DavkaWriter Mac package older than 1.0.6 will not run on Macs running the Mountain Lion operating system. If you have an older version, please contact Davka Sales at +1.773.583.2333 or email@example.com to get the newest version of … Continue reading
DavkaWriter 7 for the Mac is now available! To purchase it, click here: http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?product=576 Upgrades from DavkaWriter 6 or 7 for Windows or Mellel II for Mac are available here: http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?type=M3747-UD A free demo of DavkaWriter for Mac is available … Continue reading
If you are using Windows, go to the location where the DavkaWriter ZIP file is saved. This file will likely be in your Downloads or My Documents folder, unless you have chosen to save it elsewhere. Select this file and … Continue reading
Why do I get an “invalid path” error when I try to open a file with Hebrew letters in the filename in DavkaWriter?
In Windows XP, Vista, and 7, DavkaWriter can use Hebrew filenames only if Windows’ Hebrew language support is fully installed and the “default locale for non-Unicode programs” is set to Hebrew. Here are links for instructions to set up Windows’ … Continue reading
Go into DavkaWriter. Go to File -> Open. Change your file type to “Dagesh/Accent Document”. Locate the Dagesh document and double-click it. It will then open in DavkaWriter. Please note that, when importing a Dagesh document into DavkaWriter, you may … Continue reading
I inserted an image or text box into a DavkaWriter document and now I can’t click and select it. What do I do?
If you are unable to click an image in a DavkaWriter document, hold down Ctrl while you click the image. That tells DavkaWriter to select the image or text box instead of the text surrounding it.
While DavkaWriter supports almost any English font installed on your system for English typing, it only supports Hebrew fonts specifically encoded for use with DavkaWriter. A number of different font collections for DavkaWriter (the Hebrew Font Gallery Deluxe and Signature … Continue reading
DavkaWriter 6 offers a number of different copy-and-paste options that can be used when copying text from DavkaWriter to other programs. These options are all in DavkaWriter’s Edit menu, under the choice “Copying is For”: Unicode Hebrew Program English Program … Continue reading
All texts included in DavkaWriter are in Tools -> Text Library. DavkaWriter includes the Tanach, Siddur and Mishna. Additional texts for DavkaWriter are available here: http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=2
In DavkaWriter, you don’t add a dot/dagesh to a letter. You type the letter as though you were typing an uppercase letter in English – by holding the Shift key as you type the letter. If you have already typed … Continue reading
DavkaWriter 6 has a built-in PDF export. To use this export function, open your DavkaWriter document. Click File -> Export and set PDF as your file type. Name the file, note the location where the file will be saved (the … Continue reading
This problem occurs when the “file association” between the DavkaWriter program and the DWD file type is not set up properly. Windows may prompt you to choose the program you want to use to open this type of file or … Continue reading
DavkaWriter and Windows’ Hebrew language support try to use the same reserved keystroke – Alt+Shift. If you are using DavkaWriter on a system that has Windows’ Hebrew language support installed (the EN/HE language selector) and you use Alt-Shift to switch … Continue reading
DavkaWriter is, essentially, a Windows program. There is no Mac version. If you use Windows on your Mac, as many Mac users do, or if you use Windows emulation or virtualization, you can run DavkaWriter in that configuration. Some alternatives … Continue reading
DavkaWriter 6 is fully compatible with Windows 7. If you have revisions 6.0.5 or 6.2 of DavkaWriter, you may experience minor issues with PDF export or other functions. To correct those issues, update DavkaWriter to version 6.6.3 using this link: … Continue reading